We have an exciting opportunity for a Diversity & Inclusion Manager to join our highly regarded team at Alston & Bird. The Diversity & Inclusion Manager is primarily responsible for managing the firm’s diversity and inclusion initiatives to strengthen the firm’s inclusive culture. Working closely with our Diversity & Inclusion Partner and the D&I team, you will innovate and build upon current processes and assist with the strategic planning and execution of D&I initiatives. The Diversity & Inclusion Manager will also be responsible for finance and budget management, surveys and RFPs, project management, and communications, in order to advance the Firm’s D&I mission and goals.
- Coordinate the Firm’s response to external and internal surveys related to D&I, playing a key role in preparing and reviewing client and industry surveys and RFPs.
- In collaboration with HR, develop metrics that measure the effectiveness of, and promote success of D&I programs as well as identify program gaps. Also track and report on demographics, trends and statistics at the Firm and in the legal industry.
- Develop, implement, and deliver D&I education and learning initiatives that will further enhance the organization’s D&I capabilities.
- Recommend and oversee implementation of D&I initiatives to benefit both attorneys and staff.
- In collaboration with Diversity & Inclusion Partner, manage a D&I budget with regular assessment of external sponsorships and related expenditures to ascertain return on investment.
- Build relationships with and serve as a resource, mentor, advisor and diversity subject matter expert to the Firm’s lawyers and professional staff.
- Provide support to Firm’s diversity committees and help plan and implement important initiatives and programs.
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the Firm’s D&I programs and activities and continuously prioritizing action items.
- Collaborate with the Firm’s business development team on the communication of the Firm’s diversity & inclusion commitment and activities on the intranet, website, newsletter, and other publications.
- Act as a trusted resource for diverse individuals at the Firm.
- Keep abreast of latest trends in D&I within legal and other industries.
- Develop D&I presentations using PowerPoint and other data analytics as needed.
- Interface and coordinate with attorneys and diverse bar organizations regarding sponsorships, conferences, and other events.
- Coordinate with key firm business units on varying projects including surveys, RFPs, etc.
- Assist in managing diversity budget and oversee distribution of diversity funds to attorneys.
- Serve as an ambassador of the firm’s D&I programs to internal and external stakeholders.
Skills Needed to be Successful
- Excellent organizational skills for prioritizing workload and ability to manage several projects at once in fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to provide outstanding client service to internal and external contacts regarding routine and complex matters, and to develop and maintain effective business relationships with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated intellectual curiosity and commitment to innovating and enhancing the firm’s practices to ensure that we continue to be industry leaders in these critical areas.
- Demonstrated ability to generate new and innovative ideas, programs and solutions to ensure the organization meets or exceeds its diversity and inclusion goals.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, and to make presentations to small and large groups in an effective manner.
- Demonstrated ability to handle time sensitive matters and deadlines, including diversity related client RFPs, requests, and surveys, with a high level of organizational skill.
- Ability to accept changing priorities and meet time commitments.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships throughout the Firm.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced customer-service oriented environment.
- Dependability, adaptability, and a cooperative attitude.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to pay impeccable attention to detail.
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Suite to produce quality written communications, including presentations and advanced functions of Excel.
- Bachelor’s degree required; J.D. or advanced degree is welcome, but not required.
- At least 5 years of experience in a management role focused on D&I or equivalent professional experience, preferably at a law firm or an organization in the legal field.
Alston & Bird LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the bases of any status protected under federal, state, or local law. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in relation to our recruiting, hiring, and promoting practices.
The statements contained in this position description are not necessarily all-inclusive, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional business references and a background check will be required for all final applicants selected for a position.
To apply for this job please visit professionalstaffcareers-alston.icims.com.